For the shortcrust pastry:
chilled butter, diced
strong Cheddar cheese, finely grated
For the filling:
medium leeks, trimmed, washed thoroughly to remove any grit and sliced into 1cm rings
full fat crème fraîche
extra egg yolk
Pinch cayenne pepper
goat’s cheese roughly cubed
sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
- First make the pastry: Sift the flour into the bowl of a food processor and add the diced butter and a pinch of sea salt.
- Pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Tip out into a bowl and stir in the grated cheese. Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of iced water. Add to the pastry mixture and stir well to bring together, adding a little more iced water if necessary. Bring the pastry together into a flat disc and chill for 30 minutes before rolling out to line a 25cm flan case. Bake the pastry case blind for 15 minutes. Remove and turn the oven down to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Next prepare the filling: Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the leeks. Cover and cook over a gentle heat until soft but not coloured. Add the peas and turn to coat in the butter. Remove from the heat. Beat together the crème fraîche, eggs and cayenne pepper and season with sea salt and black pepper. Add the leeks and peas and pour into the flan case. Scatter the goats cheese on top and cook in the preheated oven for 25 – 30 minutes until set.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin. When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W).
WHAT OUR CONSUMERS THINK
Write a review Cancel
Be the first to review this recipe
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.