Why Are Peas Good For You?
- Freshly picked garden peas and petits pois are frozen within just two and a half-hours of being picked, (retaining all the fresh peas nutrition)
- No matter the season, frozen fresh garden peas are available throughout the year.
- Being shelled and frozen fresh, they are ready to cook. Cook our peas as per pack instructions and add to recipes such as soups, casseroles or curries.
- Reduce wastage. Garden peas or petits pois chosen for freezing are the pick of the bunch and are easy to store.
- Our peas are low in sugars and fat, saturated-fat-free, high in fibre and protein, and a source of vitamin C!
- Did you know that peas are a great source of protein for vegetarians?
How To Cook Peas
- Microwaving and boiling are great cooking methods for pea nutrition retention
- When boiling our frozen garden peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. For our Petits Pois, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 2 minutes.
- To microwave, cook as per our pack instructions.
Interesting Facts About Peas
- The Latin name for peas is pisum sativum.
- The first peas to be quick-frozen were by Clarence Birdseye who invented the 'plate froster' to preserve foods in the 1920s and whose freezing methods we still use today!
- On average everyone in Britain eats nearly 9,000 peas per year.
- The world record for eating peas is held by Janet Harris of Sussex who, in 1984, ate 7175 peas one by one in 60 minutes using chopsticks!
- Thick London fogs of the 19th and 20th centuries were dubbed 'pea-soupers' because of their density and green tinge.
- There are 35,000 hectares of peas grown in the UK each year, equivalent to about 70,000 football pitches. This produces about 160,000 tonnes of frozen peas - that's 2 billion 80 gram portions.
Birds Eye Peas Sweetness Substantiation
At Birds Eye, we taste samples of peas from multiple fields every day during harvest time so that we know when the perfect moment is to pick our peas to ensure they’re the sweetest, tastiest and most tender they can be. Our processes ensure that our peas are picked and frozen in just 2.5 hours or less to give you the freshest peas and exceptional quality all year round.
Results of internal taste panels across our last 3 years of pea harvests, which are conducted by our internal panel of experts, indicate that we consistently score higher vs our competitors in both colour and sweetness.
Birds Eye Petits Pois are also proved to be brighter and more uniform in colour, with a sweeter taste and aroma.
These daily tests really do go to show that the biggest differentiating factor between Birds Eye and the competition is our delicious sweetness!