large garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
fennel, sliced thinly
large tomatoes, skinned and chopped
a few strands of saffron soaked in 50ml warm water
mixed fish (eg: squid, haddock, monkfish, hake)
flat leaf parsley, finely chopped plus some for garnish
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
lemon wedges to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the garlic, fennel and leek and fry gently for 1 minute. Sprinkle in the paprika, add the tomatoes and stir well. Add the rice, saffron liquid and stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently for about 25 minutes until the rice is nearly cooked.
- Add the fish and diced courgette, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the peas, mussels, king prawns, and parsley. Bubble gently until the liquid has been absorbed and all the fish is cooked. Serve with wedges of lemon and black pepper and garnish with the remaining parsley.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin. When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W).
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.