rashers streaky bacon, chopped
spring onions, finely sliced into rings, including the green
mature Cheddar cheese, grated
For the Mustard Cheese Sauce:
full fat milk
mature Cheddar cheese
a pinch of nutmeg, optional
sea salt and black pepper
- To make the cheese sauce, heat the butter until melted and add the flour. Mix together in a saucepan and cook on a low heat for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the milk. Place back on the heat, whisking continuously until the sauce has thickened, is smooth and is just coming to the boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the cheese, cream cheese, mustard and nutmeg (if using) and season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Fry the bacon in the oil for 5 – 7 minutes until the bacon is golden brown add the peas and spring onion and cook for a further minute. Remove from the heat.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the macaroni according to the instructions on the packet and drain.
- Mix the macaroni into the sauce, along with the bacon and pea mixture, check the seasoning and alter according to taste. Place in an ovenproof dish, top with cheese and grill until golden brown and bubbling.
The less water you use when cooking peas, the less vitamin C is lost. Steaming helps to conserve this vitamin. When boiling frozen peas, add enough water to cover, bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 3 minutes. To microwave 227 grams (8oz) of frozen peas add 15ml (1 tablespoon) of water, place in a non metallic container and cover. Cook on full power for 4 minutes (750W) or 4 1/2 minutes (650W).
Info per serving
* The nutritional information relating to a prepared statement after serving (190g)
**GDA = Guideline Daily intake based on a food intake of 2,000 kcal. Personal requirements vary depending on age, sex, weight and physical activity.