Imagine this: It's a cold winter’s day, you've finished work, and you're ready to kick back and relax. As you enter your home, a waft of something delicious cooking in the kitchen welcomes you in. But what could it be? Well, it’s a huge pot of heart-warming soup, not any soup, a delightful vegetable soup! How scrumptious!
A bowl of soulful soup is perfect for an easy midweek dinner, a quick lunch or when you’re strapped for time. Better yet, it's a brilliant way to use up any leftover veggies you have lying about. So, that means less food waste and happier tummies. That sounds like a win-win situation to us!
If you love meal planning, these easy vegetable soup recipes might just become your favourite addition to the week. Not only are they great to freeze in batches, but they can be whipped up in a matter of minutes.
Now, enough of our babbling, it’s time to get cooking. Whether you prefer a chunky vegetable soup or like it silky smooth, we’ve got a bunch of soups below to warm your soul. Souptastic!
How To Make Homemade Vegetable Soup
The beauty of homemade vegetable soup is how versatile it is. It makes for a cheap meal, that’s easy on the wallet and bursting full of flavour. Discover how to make a mouth-watering vegetable soup to your liking below:
1. Chunky Vegetable Soup
Are you craving hearty soup? Well, you’re in the right place because we’ve got the perfect recipe for you. Shake up your weekdays with this chunky vegetable soup!
Add oil to a large saucepan over medium heat and add onions, garlic, and chilli (optional)
Fry for a couple of minutes till soft. Gradually add in the stock and reduce heat to prevent any burning/sticking.
Add in some Birds Eye frozen vegetables and fry for a couple more minutes until the vegetables have cooked down a little. To make the soup heartier, try adding in our veggie power butternut squash and quinoa. (Make sure to follow packet instructions).
Add in the rest of the broth and mix.
Stir in your choice of herbs (We would recommend bay leaves and thyme, as they add a delicate aroma to your soup!)
Next bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
Serve up in large bowls alongside potato waffles, to round off your chunky vegetable soup.
2. Smooth Vegetable Soup
Is a creamy, velvety soup calling your name? Today is your lucky day because we have a deliciously smooth vegetable soupwith your name on it! Follow these simple steps, and you'll be sipping on a dreamy soup in no time.
- Add oil to a large saucepan over medium heat and add onions, garlic, and chilli (optional)
- Fry for a couple of minutes till soften. Gradually add in a few splashes of stock at a time and reduce heat to prevent any burning/sticking.
- Add in your choice of frozen vegetables Try using our SteamFresh range, you’ll have perfectly cooked vegetables in a matter of minutes!
- Fry for a couple more minutes until the vegetables have cooked down a little.
- Stir in your choice of herbs (we would recommend bay leaves and thyme, as they add a delicate aroma to your soup!).
- Next bring to a boil and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for approximately 45 minutes.
- Blend the soup with a hand blender/traditional blender to get that smooth and velvety soup consistency.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley, a dash of single cream and a side of crispy pancakes.
Now, it’s time to dig into your creamy and smooth vegetable soup!
Explore More Of Our Easy Vegetable Soup Recipes
Refreshing and decadent, this pea and mint soup is one to try. The best part, it only takes 5 minutes to prep.
A pea and roasted garlic soup, served with crème fraiche, a perfect warming meal to round off a long day.
Warming, filling and tasty, what more could you ask for! This pea and asparagus minestrone soup does not disappoint. It’s a treat for the whole family to enjoy.
Now that you know how to make a delicious and easy vegetable soup, it’s time to enjoy your creation. Whilst you’re here, take a look at our frozen food inspiration, for some lip-smacking recipes and ideas. And if you’re after more warming and comforting foods, we’ve got you covered too. Enjoy!