Veganuary is here, and if you’ve been contemplating going vegan or doing what you can to cut down on your meat intake, January is the month to get stuck in.
So, whether you’re participating in Veganuary for your health, the environment, or it’s part of your New Year’s resolution, Birds Eye have you covered with recipes and plant-based products – we’re here to help you make small changes for a better world and help you do-what-you-can.
Read on to explore tips for Veganuary, plant-based meal ideas and Birds Eye meat-free alternatives.
Here’s to a happy New Year and a happy Veganuary OR Do-What-You-Can-Uary!
What is Veganuary?
So, you’re sold on reducing the amount of meat in your diet this January – but the big question is, what is Veganuary and when did it start?
The Veganuary movement was founded by Jane Land and Matthew Glover in 2014 right from their kitchen. The annual challenge has gone from strength to strength with over 500,000 people participating in 2021 alone.
It encourages people to make the swap and follow a vegan lifestyle for 31 days. And with the New Year in full swing there’s no better time to start!
At Birds Eye Green Cuisine, we know it's tough to commit 100% to a change in a habit, we are here for you as you embark on your meat-free journey, don't put pressure on yourself and just do what you can! Read more about our latest Green Cuisine campaign here.
Tips for Veganuary
If this is your first Veganuary, don’t worry you’re not alone. Here at Birds Eye we’ve got six handy tips to help you have the best Do-What-You-Can-Uary ever!
- Plan and prepare meals- Changing your eating habits is no easy task but with great prep, meat-free mealtimes can be something you look forward to.
- Become a master at veganising your favourite meals - The key to mastering Veganuary is to eat foods that make you happy. So if you love a hearty spag bowl with a tangy tomato sauce, you can swap your regular mince out for our Meat-Free Bolognese Mix.
- Become a pro at reading labels- Training yourself to read the ingredients list will help you to identify those non-vegan ingredients to avoid.
- Stock up on vegan treats – If you have a sweet tooth, having your favourite treat on hand will make Veganuary a breeze. The proof is in the pudding!
- Keep the “why” in mind –Whether it’s for your health, the environment or for the animals, keeping your Veganuary goal at the forefront of your mind will motivate you to keep going!
- Get your friends and family on board -They say two heads are better than one and it’s true! You could go grocery shopping together and share Veganuary recipes with one another. Keeping it fun will mean that within a blink of an eye you’ll be saying hello to February.
Some of our favourite Veganuary recipes
Making the swap doesn’t have to be so hard, that’s where our Green Cuisine range comes in to save the day. With a variety of meat-free alternatives, you’re spoilt for choice. We’ve put together a list of five vegan recipe ideas that you can enjoy and rave to your friends about. Now all that’s left to do is to dive into some flavoursome food. Delicious!
1. Vegan Fajitas
Dinnertime just got easier with this smoky sizzling sensation. Introducing our Meat-Free Mexican Mix, full of pea protein pieces, mixed pepper and onions in a Mexican-style sauce.
Imagine a fluffy tortilla topped with meat-free chicken pieces, vegan sour cream, tangy salsa and a sprinkle of zesty lime. If that has got your mouth watering, then we’ve got the perfect recipe here for you!
2. Vegan Bangers and Mash
There’s nothing better than a warm and comforting meal after a long day, and what comfort meal is better than bangers and mash? But that’s not a vegan recipe we hear you say! Well, we’re talking vegan bangers and mash.
You’re going to love our succulent Birds Eye Green Cuisine meat-free sausages, packed full of pea protein. Looking to take it up a notch? Add a side of smooth cauliflower mash , rich vegan gravy and peas to really crank up the flavour! It’s the ultimate Veganuary recipe.
3. Vegan Cheeseburger
Craving a fast-food fix? This vegan cheeseburger will hit all the right spots and leave you wanting more! Our Birds Eye Green Cuisine meat-free burgers are super juicy and packed full of flavour to get your taste buds tingling.
Try pairing with a sesame seeded bun, vegan American-style cheese, gherkins, and a dollop of mustard. Check out the full recipe for the perfect vegan cheeseburger experience.
4. Vegan Katsu Curry
Show off your cooking skills with this fancy number. Our plant-powered katsu curry will be one of your favourite Veganuary recipes to dish up. Crispy and juicy Birds Eye Green Cuisine Southern Fried Chicken-free Grills paired with sticky jasmine rice will take your vegan katsu to the next level.
Who says you can’t make meat-free dishes that pack a punch? Better yet, it’s a dish full of nutritious veg to help you maintain a healthy balanced diet. It’s a win-win situation, or should we say a winner winner chicken dinner situation?
5. Vegan Falafel Wrap
A falafel wrap is the perfect midweek meal and something the whole family can enjoy. Serve up our Green Cuisine Falafel Balls in a warm tortilla wrap or on top of a pea salad with tahini dressing. This chickpea delight is full of flavour and packed with nutritional goodness. If you’re really stretched for time, our falafel balls make a great on-the-go snack too!
Now that you’re prepped and inspired for Veganuary or Do-What-You-Can-Uary, be sure to have a look at our Green Cuisine range- full of plant-based food swap ideas and recipe inspiration. Here at Birds Eye, you’re guaranteed to find something that tickles your fancy!