- Heat the milk until it starts to boil, then pour it over the bread in a large bowl. Stir, cover with cling film and leave for 15 minutes.
- Cook the onions in butter over a medium heat, until tender.
- Add the onions, peas and eggs to the bread mixture and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Using your hands, squeeze the dough through your fingers until it is smooth and sticky.
- Form a test dumpling the size of a tangerine and gently drop it into a large pan of slightly salted boiling water. If it falls apart, the dough is too wet, so stir some breadcrumbs into the dumpling dough.
- Shape the remaining dough into equally-sized dumplings, drop into the water and simmer for 15–20 minutes.
- For the sauce, bring the cream to the boil, season with salt, pepper and nutmeg and reduce it by ½.
- Sauté the chanterelles mushrooms in butter and add a few peas.
- Arrange the dumplings, mushrooms and peas on a deep plate, pour over the sauce and serve.